environment (/etc/profile) and X

Jonathan Underwood j.underwood at open.ac.uk
Fri Jan 21 15:32:59 UTC 2005

> You're absolutely right, gdm/xdm/kdm should be running the login files 1
> time.
>
> We spent a lot of time fixing this several years ago, must have gotten
> busted somehow.
> Be sure there's a bugzilla...

I would've filed one earlier, but I honestly thought I must be missing
something obvious :)

Is my thinking correct that this should be taken care of in the script
/etc/xdm/Xsession (which is sourced by gdm and kdm  as well as xdm) by
having #!/bin/bash -l as the first line to invoke bash as a login shell?
But then again, this would be the wrong behaviour for someone whose
default shell was tcsh?

Anyway, shall I file a bug report against xorg-X11, or against a
different component?

Cheers,
J.