Smartrpm was (Re: Fedora Core 4)

Andreas Hasenack andreas at conectiva.com.br
Fri Jan 21 15:44:32 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 10:00:56AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> Packaging problems happen often when you mix a lot of repositories, yes.
> Also there are a number of occasions where fedora updates-released cause
> packaging problems. I've found if you don't output anything while things
> are going on people infer that to be slow. If you do output something

So show an ETA :)

> > I hate to have to tell this, but other package managers show the ETA for the
> > whole thing just fine. They know how much they have do download, and they also
> > know how fast it is comming, and they know how to divide one by the other.
>
> How do you know how fast it will come before downloading anything?

You are joking, right? :) Do you need to download everything to give an estimate?
I wonder how all those progress bars in mozilla, thunderbird, wget, lftp, ncftp,
zmodem, xmodem, etc. work then.

> > I was afraid it would piss people off. That's not what I meant. If you think
> > the above suggestions are crap, too bad. I was trying to help.
>
> So help, then, open rfes.

I'm sure these things will be implemented some time.

> > In fact, why don't
> > you alias yum="strace yum" if it's that buggy that you need to debug it all the
> > time.
>
> You don't think that sort of comment is unnecessary and inflammatory?

Of course. I was agitated by Jeff's typical reaction, apologies.