rawhide report: 20050121 changes

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Jan 21 15:56:52 UTC 2005

otaylor at redhat.com (Owen Taylor) writes:

>> not here (P4 2.6 GHz)... gedit needs 5-6 seconds to come up. On first
>> startup it needs yet more as it has to start lots of Gnome programs.
>
> I'd like to say that was far too slow, and it sounds a little slow,
> but gedit does take 5 seconds or so to start on my laptop. (P3 1Ghz)
>
> Some things you can try:
>
>  - Make sure that your font caches is up to date (run fc-cache -f
>    as root). I've seen people have this screwed up somehow before,
>    though it theoretically should fall back to a homedir cache
>    if the global caches aren't up-to-date.
>
>  - Try using gtk-update-icon-cache

Thanks, but this does not help. I have two theories:

* Gnome2 application are only in Gnome2 environments fast, and I do
  not run Gnome2... KDE has similar effects but after starting one
  KDE application, the other ones have reasonable startup-times
  (e.g. kghostview needs 10-15s on first start and then around 2s).

* 'strace -eopen ggv' shows that it opens all and every icon which it
  can find on the system. As these icons are on /usr/share which are on
  an NFS share, this can cause slowdowns. Nevertheless, this is a broken
  behavior as only a small subset of the icons will be used by gedit
  finally.

>  - There's a patch in GTK+ CVS (will be in 2.6.2) that eliminates some
>    excessive font lookup and loading action:

I will follow rawhide development but do not have time to try this now.

Enrico