RAM detection error: 32-bit int issue?

Scott Saccone ssaccone at link.wustl.edu
Fri Jan 21 18:03:25 UTC 2005

Thanks very much, could you tell me what versions of GRUB and linux
you're using? BTW, the BIOS reports 4GB of memory, and Memtest86+ shows
4GB working fine, so it must have something to do with the interaction
between the kernel and BIOS. Doesn't everything depend on the
BIOS-provided physical RAM map that's in the dmesg file, or is it more
than that?

This is quote from a GRUB bug report that was posted after v.95
came out (I'm using v.94, the only version after .95 is GRUB2 which is
in development)
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=9954

'In char_io.c the memcheck function uses "int addr" to store addresses
and does bounds checking on it. On systems with over 2G of ram the "int
addr" will be negative and the bounds checking will fail producing an
"ERR_WONT_FIT".'