rawhide report: 20050121 changes

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Fri Jan 21 20:22:00 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 01:08:38PM -0500, Richard June wrote:
> > GNOME is the default desktop, so of course it shouldn't be removed.  I'm
> > wary of moving KDE due to the political issues, but I wouldn't mind
> > seeing all the other WMs and DEs moved (XFCE, for one).
> I'm with you, keep GNOME and KDE in core. everything else can go in extras
> *especially* after there's a graphical yum client/software manager that's
> included in core.

Although KDE and GNOME fill pretty much the same niche while XFCE aims for a
slightly different goal....

Having things in Core means you don't have to download if you can buy the
CDs.  XFCE is targetted at people with older hardware.  Are they more likely
to be highly technical people rescuing older hardware and therefore going to
have high speed access or poor and therefore more likely to be on dialup?

-Toshio