graphviz (was: Alien Night vs ksh (was: rawhide report: 20050121 changes))

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Fri Jan 21 21:09:27 UTC 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:52:58 -0500, John Ellson wrote:

> Just FYI:  Graphviz, also from AT&T Research,  is also now released
> under the CPL.
>     http://www.graphviz.org/
>
> There is a pre-CPL version in extras, but I don't know who is looking
> after it and
> they don't respond to bugzilla.   If someone-in-charge of Fedora would
> like me (a graphviz author) to maintain it,
> please let me know how...

A few comments here.

Your bug report didn't go unnoticed. But we're still dealing with
"pre-Extras" which was chosen to be another step on the road of
migration from unofficial Fedora Linux (fedora.us) to fully official
Fedora Extras. There are no means yet for outside contributors to get
CVS access. And hence the only way you could maintain the package
currently is by supplying patches and/or fully prepared source rpms
and getting the current package owner to apply them.

Your bug report requests that "an update of graphviz is needed". But
it lacks any information whether all of current extra packages, which
use graphviz as a build requirement, do rebuild fine with the new
major version. As one of the authors I bet you either know that. Or
else it would need to be tested by somebody.