rawhide report: 20050121 changes

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Fri Jan 21 22:29:35 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 17:17 -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 16:04 -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:
> >
> > One could argue that Xorg and fvmw2 are all that's needed for Core.
> > Minimalistic to the bone.  If KDE goes to Extras, then GNOME needs to as
> > well.
>
> It's not "strip down," it's, "only provide one option."  GNOME, KDE, and
> XFCE are the only actual desktop environments in the system.  (Yes,
> there is a very big difference between a desktop environment and a
> window manager.)

Yeah, I know.  That's why I don't want either GNOME or KDE to go.

> Three desktops environments aren't needed.  Of the three, two are very
> popular and very politically charged, the third is in fact an extra
> provided mostly for low-resource folks.
>
> *If* KDE is removed (and I don't think it will be, or should be at this
> time) then that doesn't mean GNOME should be removed.  GNOME is the
> default, KDE is by definition (by not being the default) provided as an
> extra desktop in addition to GNOME.

I'll agree with you there, but with one twist.  *If* a desktop
environment is to be moved to Extras, why would it have to be KDE?  Or
in other words, why is GNOME the default?  Because of historical
reasons?

Like you said, GNOME vs. KDE is hugely political or as others like to
call it, religion.  In a community driven distribution, which Fedora is
supposed to be, you'll never get everyone to agree which environment
should be the default.

So instead of having an endless debate over which should be the default
and which should go, I'd just rather see both stay.

josh