rawhide report: 20050121 changes

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Sat Jan 22 15:37:57 UTC 2005

> Hi
>

> > > no. fvwm2 is not a typical DE.
> > X+fvwm2 had been the Linux standard desktop environment for many, many
> > years and is still being used by more folks that you might assume.
>
> its not the default DE nor part of fedora at all now.

No, it's not and I'm not advocating that it should be.  It was just a
"devils advocate" type of statement.

> > Despite some folke here don't seem to get tired to reiterate this idea,
> > I have to object: That won't be better, It's naive to move KDE out of
> > Core.
>
> I dont see any technical objections here

That's because it's not always a technical issue.  It's about choice.
Default does not mean "this has to be installed".  It's just a default.
If I don't like the default, I should be given the option of installing
an alternative.  And that is without needing to download another large
ISO after the fact because one didn't realize that KDE wasn't included
in Core anymore.

I say KDE is that alternate because it has a very large user base, and
has been included in the "core" ISOs of every Red Hat/Fedora product
since at least RH 7.3.

Now that's not to say that all the non-base KDE packages have to be
included with Core.  I could see having kdegames, kdepim, kdemultimedia,
etc all in Extras.  Same goes for the non-base GNOME packages as well.

If there isn't a desktop environment choice in the Core ISOs, then
people will either deal with it, or switch to a different distro.
Personally, I'd rather see more people come to Fedora.

On a positive note, I'm glad this discussion is taking place.  Even if
it's being completely ignored by the Red Hat folks, at least members of
the Fedora community are speaking up. :)

josh