rawhide report: 20050121 changes

Charles R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Sat Jan 22 17:04:34 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 11:56:25AM -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> I'm nowdays using XFCE a lot but I do believe its a logical candidate for
> extras. I'm not so sure personally about KDE being an extras item. If someone
> said "you have two CD-ROM images no more" then I'd consider KDE for extras
> but not with four.
>
> The politics is unfortunate because its not neccessarily about which is best
> (current hypothesis: they serve different user needs so there is no more a
> 'best' than arguing about two very different cars - it depends what you use
> it for and how you use it). Its about building an integrated consistent
> environment.

When people speak of moving KDE to extras, which parts of it do they
mean?  The whole DE, applets, applications, libraries?  QT?  There are
many KDE/QT applications which serve a particular function better than
any GNOME/GTK counterpart, such as k3b.  It would be a shame to lose
some of the better applications simply because they are bundled with
KDE or use KDE infrastructure...