kernel-devel: should yum install, not update?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 19:22:32 UTC 2005

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:03:39 -0800, Tom London <selinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Running latest rawhide.
>
> Yum seems to update the kernel-devel package.
>
> Should it be added to the default 'installonly' packages?

probably... looking at the kernel-devel file payload it seems to be
parallel installable by design. I think its perfectly reasonable to
set this to parallel install by default instead of upgrade. I would
imagine for most people who need the kernel-devel package installed
and have multiple kernels on their system they will want to be able to
compile modules for each kernel they have on the system and not just
the latest.

Whatever is decided you probably want to have up2date default to the
same behavior for consistency.

-jef