further package removals/potential package removals

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Sat Jan 22 20:12:53 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 14:35 -0500, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
>   I can deal with that.  I forgot about nano.  As long as there is one
> alternative (and *small*) text editor besides vi (vim).  I like vim, but
> was astonished by how utterly dependent I am on it when it was broken a
> few days ago.  Then I remembered joe ... saved the day for me.  Nano can
> serve that role, too.

The proper fix for that break (libperl) to make sure that such an
essential utility stays working in the future would be to check for
libperl at runtime and dlopen() it.  The Vim folks might take a patch
(or bug report) for that.  Then if libperl breaks (it can happen even
outside of Rawhide when you make certain kinds of mistakes) the standard
UNIX text editor will still work.