further package removals/potential package removals

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Sun Jan 23 04:53:12 UTC 2005

Enrico Scholz wrote:

>Jamie Zawinski <jwz at jwz.org> writes:
>

>>For example: I don't use Windows, ever.  This means I don't use Samba.
>>But I can't uninstall it, because Nautilus depends on it.  Now, I don't
>>use Nautilus either, but I can't just uninstall *that*, because
>>control-center depends on it, which I *do* use.
>>

>ACK; some packages should be split to avoid such dependencies. 'gnupg'
>(which brings 'perl' and 'openldap' into the game (additional 50MB)) and
>'kernel' (which wastes 30MB and 6000 inodes of my /) are packages coming
>at first into my mind...

ACK ACK: packages should be split, dependencies (at least those that are
automagically
generated, the majority these days) are not the problem.

>>If space is tight, the first thing I do is nuke everything except en_US
>>under /usr/share/locale/ and /usr/lib/locale/
>>

>Just do 'echo "%_install_langs C:en" >>/etc/rpm/macros' and reinstall
>everything (as anaconda neither sets it on fresh installs nor honors it
>on upgrades).

Yep.

And no matter what (fairly arcane and obscure) flaws there are
    %_netsharedpath /usr/share/doc
is at least as good a solution as
    cd /usr/share/doc
    rm -rf *
for preventing files from being installed in /usr/share/doc.

Assuming that is what you want to do.

73 de Jeff