RFC: Soname in rpm name

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Mon Jan 24 13:12:45 UTC 2005

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Do what's necessary. If you no longer need the older libkexif, because
> you would rebuild its dependencies against the newer libkexif, you
> could simply upgrade and need not worry about moving the old one into
> a package like likexif0.

I see. That's what I'm going to do beacause by chance I also maintain the
applications depending on libkexif.
The point of my post is not to solve my own problem, but rather to extract a
policy for new packagers running into this problem.

So the unofficial "policy" about this is to keep the regular name across
upgrades, and to provide an rpm with the soname in the "Name" tag for older
versions (if needed). OK, fine.

Aurélien
http://gauret.free.fr   ~~~~   Jabber : gauret at amessage.info
L'expérience est quelquechose que l'on acquiert juste après en avoir eu
besoin.