further package removals/potential package removals

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 14:43:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:37:04 +0100, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> IMO, if you want to remove joe from Core, you should be consequent and
> remove vi, emacs, xemacs, etc. too and let only ship one single, small
> and statically linked ascii text-editor remain in Core, may-be nano.
> Otherwise I would recommend to remove nano, because I don't see any
> reason why it should be integrated into Core.

There is value in having one ascii editor in Core when doing system
troubleshooting.  Bugs still happen.. misconfigurations still
happen(more than bugs) and when you are trying to walk someone through
troubleshooting or workarounds in a mailinglist, forum, or irc... it
can be much simplier to have them use an ascii editor to make
corrections to system configuration text files and sometimes necessary
if there is a misconfiguration that prevents X from starting.

-jef