suggests/requires in rpm

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Mon Jan 24 15:08:05 UTC 2005

On Monday 24 January 2005 22:32, seth vidal wrote:
> > I, for one, thought Jeff was clear that it's the job of depsolvers
> > (anaconda, yum, smart, apt) to decide what to do with the extra
> > information.
>
> All that's really been done is to push the decision-making process
> off on the depsolvers.

Which is what it should do.  Depsolvers are becoming the defacto
interface to the packaging system; responsibility may feel burdensome
at times, but it's a pretty clear distinction to implement these
processes at this level.

The less magic RPM does, the better. Depsolvers are more fluid than RPM,
which is why they should acquire the necessary complex logic.
Heretofore mentioned bugzillas already clearly show why magic is a
BadThing at the RPM level and that the depsolvers should be charged to
make these decisions:

--
-jeff