RFC: Soname in rpm name

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Jan 24 18:57:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 03:05:29PM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2005, Ralf Ertzinger <fedora-devel at camperquake.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> > Aurelien Bompard <gauret at free.fr> wrote:
>
> >> I did not know, is it possible to have a tool find the rpms that no rpms
> >> depend on, and ask to remove them ?
>
> > The problem with this is that RPM does not indicate whether a package has
> > "end user value" (a command line or GUI program, or a daemon), or is just
> > a support library needed by said end user programs, which can be removed
> > if not needed by anyone.
>
> Could we perhaps add such a flag to the rpm database?  Then the
> installer and the various other package installation front-ends could
> mark user- (or comps-)requested packages as having end user value, and
> everything else brought in to satisfy dependencies such that it is (or
> can be) removed as soon as no dependencies remain.

ATrpms has started marking library only packages with

		Provides: shared-library-package

so these packages can be identifies with

		rpm --whatprovides shared-library-package

and be probed for garbage collection.

I.e. there is no need to extend rpm, you have everything already in
place.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net