RFC: Soname in rpm name

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Mon Jan 24 21:23:31 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 22:14 +0100, Féliciano Matias wrote:
> Fedora is (or try to be) :
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/about/objectives.html
>         Create a complete general-purpose operating system with
>         capabilities equivalent to competing operating systems, built
>         for and by a community — those who not only consume, but also
>         produce for the good of other community members.

"capabilities equivalent to competing operating systems"... does that
not include "install stuff" for some reason?

The Open Source community is pretty good these days about using sonames
properly.  It's silly to have packages go and break all that effort.
Sonames exist for a reason.

> Fedora is not (or try to avoid) :
>
>         Non-Objectives of Fedora Core:
>
>              1. Slow rate of change.
>
>              2. ....
>
>              3. Being a dumping ground for unmaintained or poorly
>                 designed software.

Neither of which have I ever asked for, nor would I.

The number of incredibly absurd ways people seem to interpret "let's not
break stuff pointlessly" is constantly amazing, and starting to become
rather dumbfounding.