RFC: Soname in rpm name

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 22:54:20 UTC 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:40:43 +0100, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> Not sure how this fits in here. These are valid points you make, but
> they are valid for both the current and a soname-in-the-rpmname scheme
> :)

keeping the package the same name... regardless of the soname  means
on distro upgrade
the old version gets removed.  This works to expire an older library
package but breaks externally build apps that need the old library.
You want to keep those things from breaking and I want to expired libs
off the system.  I would prefer to use the sonames in the packages as
sparingly as possible.. to minimize the amount of deprecated libraries
on system...until there is a solution to the larger question of how
expiring of a package is suppose to work.

-jef