RFC: Soname in rpm name

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Jan 25 02:25:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:15:14 -0500, Sean Middleditch
> <elanthis at awesomeplay.com> wrote:
> > We _have_ had this problem, btw.  The problem is that it's not generally
> > developers that notice it.  It's the user that just want to have their
> > machine work.  I go to install third party app Foo from Foo's web site,
> > it needs libbar.so.2, Fedora only has libbar.so.1, and many other apps
> > on the net require libbar.so.1.
>
> A third part website is packaging libbar.so.2  in a package  of the
> same package name as Feodora's libbar.so.1?   Why would a third party
> site do that? Unless the intention was to replace the Fedora package?
> Isn't this an example of the care 3rd party packagers should be taking
> to make sure their packages work well with Core?

Jeff, this implementation forces both 3rd party packagers as well as Red
Hat and Fedora Extras to be more strict than it could be. It is technical
possible to lift these limitations and that's what I think Sean is talking
about.

Why a 3rd party packager is updating a core package may be for various
reasons, some more valid as others. Not all 3rd party packagers replace
core (library) packages because we know it potentially introduces
problems. But technically speaking there is no real reason to have this
limitation.