kernel-devel: should yum install, not update?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jan 25 10:45:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 02:36:42AM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2005, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> wrote:
>
> > It is the packager's decision whether he will craft a package that
> > will allow concurrent non-conflicting installs of the same package
> > in different versions. This is currently (only) true for the kernel
> > packages, but could easily be extended to gcc and python packages.
>
> > So if the packager has taken care to allow for concurrent installs he
> > will tag his package appropriately.
>
> > A higher level resolver has otherwise no chance on deriving this
> > information and the current patching of resolvers to allow certain
> > packages to be installed instead of upgraded will have an end.
>
> And why couldn't the depsolver itself verify that conflicts do not
> exist between the installed version and the to-be-installed one?  I
> think it's my turn to show that we don't need additional annotations
> :-)

Common/overlapping filespace is only one criterion, there are more
resources a package may consume that is not recorded in the rpm. Just
consider netwrok deamon version 1.0 and 2.0 that have the version
attached to all the files/dirs. rpms should not happily coinstall both
which will try to listen on the same port.

It's a packager decision/design, nothing to be left by chance to the
system or end-user.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net