kernel-devel: should yum install, not update?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Jan 25 11:35:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 01:31 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> That's a bit unrelated to this issue. The disttag is to indicate the
> build environment and to make packages build out of the same specfile
> on different build environments to align properly in rpm upgrade paths
> (same specfile, different build environments: make build environments
> of newer distros win).

The build environment can make a _lot_ of difference. In the case of
bridge-utils, for example, you get entirely different behaviour if
sysfsutils happens to be installed when the package was built. Without
sysfsutils you get a package which doesn't work on 2.4 kernels but which
does work with 32-bit binaries on a 6-bit kernel. With sysfsutils you
get a 32-bit package which doesn't work on 64-bit kernels.

Personally, I think the use of autotools should be banned in RPM
packaging. It adversely affects the reproducability.

--
dwmw2