Volunteers? was Re: further package removals/potential package removals

Féliciano Matias feliciano.matias at free.fr
Wed Jan 26 00:26:16 UTC 2005

Le mardi 25 janvier 2005 à 17:45 -0500, Jeff Spaleta a écrit :
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:44:43 -0500 (EST), Elliot Lee <sopwith at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hey, I really appreciate all the discussion about packages that could be
> > removed. Is there someone who's willing to read through the thread and
> > collecte all the proposed removals so we can examine move forward with
> > them?
>
> Read through the "further removals/potential package removals" thread
> Here's the summary list of suggested removals/moves and the person who
> made them.
>
> Bill Notting:
>    xloadimage
>    nedit
>    jed
> Peter Robinson:
>   Can we also get rid / move to extras all the non
>   GNOME 2 / GTK 2 apps so we can get rid of the remaining GNOME 1 / GTK
>   1 cruft as well?
> Féliciano Matias:

Humm.

>     move to extras dosfstools
Forget this one. It seems very useful for too many people.

>     move to extras Lynx (or elinks)
There are some objections :
m g :
- "Also, both are key parts of my "ssh in and fix an HTML-interface-
onlyuter" toolbox.  Depending on the HTML/authentication/router, one
will work and one will not.  In my experience in Freenode's #fedora, I'm
not alone in this use.

Alan Cox :
- "lynx is needed for mutt to do html reading on text logins. Its also
fairlyportant for accessibility for some users."

But Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha reply with :
- "I prefer to use elinks on mutt:
text/html; links -dump -dump-charset iso-8859-1 -default-mime-type
  text/html %s; copiousoutput;"

>     move to extras lesstif and/or openmotif21
Or remove. No package in FC use lesstif or openmotif21.

>         leave openmotif which is used by:
>                 stardict, ddd, xpdf, nedit, iiimf-le-chinput
>     move to extras xpdf
Depend on the status evince :
http://www.gnome.org/projects/evince/

btw, if evince "rocks" perhaps gpdf can also be moved to extras.

>     move to extras ddd
>     Remove rpmdb.
Or rpmdb should not provide /usr/lib/rpmdb/i386-redhat-linux/redhat/ (97
Mo) but a tool to generate the rpmdb base (like rpmdb-fedora.spec does).

>     move experimental gcc (gcc4 in FC3 for example) to Fedora Extra.
Depend if experimental gcc is _only_ an experimental compiler.
In FC3 java seems to depend on gcc4.
Jeremy Katz :
- "Unfortunately, a lot of the java stuff right now is depending on gcc4
just because that's where the work is happening.  Thus, tough call.  On
the note of the free java stuff...  gcj is really coming along
impressively in the things it can run now."