redhat abe

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Jan 27 15:27:45 UTC 2005

> I know. If you're so convinced about smartrpm, why don't you include it
> into FC and consider to abandon up2date and yum, rsp. to adopt
> smartrpm's resolver into rpm, rsp. to change yum to use that?

1. b/c it's not just his opinion that counts.
2. b/c rh does not control yum development
3. b/c smartrpm, while a nice depsolver, seems to add A LOT of
complexity for some highly limited gain to fedora.

> Another feature I am missing in both apt and yum is a usable
> --download-only operation.
> apt-get has "-d" but insists on its "package name mangling", (FC3's) yum
> doesn't support it all, I don't know about smartrpm.

it's funny, you seem capable of programming except you've not
contributed any patches, at all, to yum. Why not add in what you're
looking for? It's not like parsing the metadata to do download-only is
terribly difficult.

-sv