grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Thu Jan 27 17:26:05 UTC 2005

Le jeudi 27 janvier 2005 à 11:38 -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun a écrit :
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 11:26:16AM -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > I think one underlying goal is to get to a point where the underlying
> > gtk1 libraries are no longer needed in core and can be removed.  Being
> > able to remove all of the application that are still using the older
> > gtk libs is a much bigger gain over all.
>
> I beg to differ. I think this is a rather technical argument with
> zero user benefit.

The non-latin support of gtk2 (vs gtk1) alone is a clear user benefit.
So this is *very* far from an abstract argument with no tangible end-
user incidence.

And I could easily write a page about gtk1 shortcomings from an end-user
POW without even getting into specific xmms problems (that deserve at
least a page themselves). I appreciate some people are used to xmms and
resigned themselves to its behaviour long ago. That doesn't make it a
good app, nor does it mean that someone not exposed to another media
player before would chose xmms over rythmbox (which has its own
problems, but it's doubtful they are much worse than the problems of
xmms and at least rythmbox is still in heavy development and not
stagnating like xmms)

--
Nicolas Mailhot