grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Fri Jan 28 03:30:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 22:06 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> So now there are two questions on the table.
> Is it worth removing xmms from Core? Thats a tough question... and
> prone to trench warfare.

<small snip>

> Is it worth replacing xmms with bmp in Core?

Or maybe we should be asking...

1. Which would be better to use? xmms or bmp?
2. Should it be in Core, or Extras.

As a dedicated xmms user I don't mind whether we have xmms or bmp as
long as the functionality is roughly equivalent.

AND, as a dedicated xmms user I think it should be in extras (people
wanting xmms will know how to get it and most other will just use Music
Player)

This is a hard call, but I'm all for seeing CORE made "really" small and
(if possible) fitting onto a single CD.  If this means making the hard
decisions about having to get a couple of my favorite apps from Extra to
get a equivalent desktop setup instead of having to download four ISO's
(soon, at this rate, to be five or six) then I'm all for dropping of the
apps I use into Extras.

These days, yum is so easy to use to add applications that I don't reach
for the CDs that much any more.  It's far easier to type yum update xmms
than to find xmms on on of four cds and then go through the process of
shuffling CD for the dependencies.

Rodd
(two cents poorer)

--