redhat abe

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jan 28 13:17:32 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 13:28 +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > >  new repodata format)
> > IMO, this is more a matter of politics and willingness, but a technical
> > requirement.
> >
> > Technically, I don't see any need for apt to adopt yum's repodata
> > format. Politically, this requirement is introduced by RH not wanting to
> > add apt-repositories and fedora.us apparently being unable to set up
> > complete repositories. If apt-repositories are cleverly set up, the
> > additional overhead they introduce in addition to the original files
> > becomes more or less negligible.
>
> Well, generating repositories demands a lot of a system. Generating 3
> different repositories (apt, old-yum, new-yum) is really becoming an
> issue and prevents me from releasing updates flexibly. If I have to wait
> 30 to 45 minutes before I can starting syncing with a mirror, I delay that
> sometimes until the next time I'm online which could be 24h later.
Try aptate from apt4rpm (http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net - Try the
version from CVS-head, the released tarballs are troublesome) and feel
free to ask me on PM in case of problems :-)

> You have to know that I refuse to work with passphrase-less keys, so
> signing and syncing is an interactive step and requires my attention.

> > BTW: Even SuSE is available with apt. I wonder why they don't have the
> > multilib issue - I guess they don't ship multilibs :)

BTW: The repositories at
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/SuSE
(semi official SuSE apt repositories) are built by aptate/apt4rpm.

Ralf