grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Peter Backlund peter.backlund at home.se
Fri Jan 28 17:15:06 UTC 2005

fre 2005-01-28 klockan 09:54 -0700 skrev Ivan Gyurdiev:

> > > Hi, I haven't been following this discussion, but I'd like to say that
> > > I don't want to see software I use pushed to extras due to the fact
> > > that Extras is not sync-ed to Rawhide. I am a rawhide beta tester, and
> > > extras is a pain for me to use. Do you know what kind of hackery is
> > > required to get the Nvidia driver from livna properly installed on a
> > > rawhide system? That's because Livna, like extras, is not sync-ed to
> > > rawhide.
> >
> > Would you mind sharing exactly what you had to do? Or perhaps open a bug
> > on bugzilla.livna.org.
> >

> Well,
>
> If you don't install the livna packages xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL breaks your
> system at every upgrade, and you can't get rid of it (because it's
> required).
>
> However you can't install the nvidia-glx package, because it depends
> on the kernel module, which needs to be recompiled per kernel,
> and Livna does not sync to rawhide.

You can rebuild the src.rpm like this:

rpmbuild -bc --target i686 --without driverp nvidia-glx.spec

to simply build a new kernel-module-nvidia package when a new kernel is
released.

> Furthermore the driver distributed is not patched for well-known bugs
> with the patches here:
> http://www.minion.de/files/1.0-6629/

What are these patches for?

> So, to summarize, my best option is to use the nvidia-distributed
> installer, extract, patch the driver, install it, generate a fake
> provides rpm, install the nvidia-glx package on top of that,
> and disable the startup script for nvidia (because the module
> as installed by nvidia is not where the livna rpm puts it,
> so it doesn't work).

Mixing the rpms from livna and the scipt installer is not and will never
be supported by livna.org.

> Then, there's xorg-x11-devel which owns the libGL.so link, which
> happens to be a dead link, because the Mesa package is not installed.
> I have to move the GL devel stuff around and redirect the link to the
> nvidia files every time xorg-x11-devel is updated, or I can no longer
> build wine-cvs with openGL support.
>
> Really to resolve this the following is needed:
>
> - updated livna nvidia package to include more patches

If there is a good reason to use a certain patch, it will be included.

> - Livna.org sync-ed against Rawhide.

Won't happen anytime soon, but see above for a very simple fix.

> - updated xorg-x11 packaging to separate the Mesa GL stuff
> - some sort of alternatives system or post-install scripts to
>   find correct provider of libGL.so.1

This already works with the rpms.

> That doesn't include the SElinux bug in the strict policy where
> udev needs to restorecon devices from /usr/etc/devices. I've filed
> this in bugzilla and I assume it's being resolved.

bz#?

> > I'm not 100% sure of how runtime linking works, but if you look at a
> > binary like /usr/X11R6/bin/glxgears, it links to the Nvidia libraries
> > when they are installed through the livna.org package, like this:
>
> This is not a runtime issue - it's a compile time issue that I'm talking
> about. I can't compile stuff against libGL.

If you don't uninstall the Mesa libGL/libGLU rpms, you can compile
against those. If you want Nvidia-specific features,
use -L/usr/lib/nvidia -I/usr/include/nvidia.

/Peter