redhat abe

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Jan 28 18:44:39 UTC 2005

> Almost got me. Fixing for old-yum would be bonus. Though, I think the
> true bonus would be incremental update.  Still thinking about it
> though.  Mass --resign is a burden.  Rerun of metadata is a burden.  If
> there could be a MANIFEST from build to sign to metadata to publish
> incrementally operating on stuff surrounding the list, then managing
> thousands of packages becomes less of a burden.

incremental update may not actually be any faster.

Think about it - how would you make sure the incremental update was
right?

You'd have to:
1. read in all the xml
2. open and checksum(sha1, md5)

compare filenames + checksums to what you just obtained
add/delete/modify as necessary
write back out ALL of the xml.

so tell me again how much saving you're going to get?

-sv