Nvidia packaging in Fedora (Summary)

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Sat Jan 29 11:27:38 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>>>I heard X will be modularized for FC5 so all libraries will be split up
>>>like that. Is that not the case?
>>
>>Where did you hear that?  So it's going to get even more complicated?
>

> i've been hearing mharris wax eloquent about moving away from the
> 'monolithic' approach to modular pieces for X related libraries for a
> while now. Catching him when he's actually using eloquent speech
> however is a refined skill that takes much practice.  I'm pretty sure
> modularization is on X.org's development roadmap moving foward.. but
> i'm not sure its wise to give a timeline as to when its ready. I have
> no idea what state the effort is in i dont keep up with xorg related
> mailinglists.

A motion to discuss the modularization of the X.Org X Window System was
brought to the table and approved recently by the board of directors.

The project is currently in the initial planning stages, and the
modularization working group is currently being formed.  A detailed
roadmap including timelines is not presently available, but may be
forthcoming at a future juncture now that the wherewithal has been obtained.

Parties potentially interested in contributing to the grandoise effort
are encouraged to contact the X.Org project and express their intentions
and concurrance with limitless exuberance via the xorg at freedesktop.org
developmental mailing list.

If there are no further questions or concerns, I'll move on to the next
agendum.