RFC: Soname in rpm name

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Mon Jan 31 00:06:48 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> Again these solutions have focused on the user's perspective of how to
> garbage collect unused libraries. That is not the crux of my concern.
> I've been trying to talk about a mechanism by which the package
> authors can expire a library.. thus notifying ALL users of that
> particular package that the author is no longer going to be providing
> any maintence for that library.

I see your point.
OK, this is a dirty hack, but could we have, say, the fedora-release package
"Conflict" with expiring package libraries ? (Told you it was dirty...)
My point is: could we use our existing packages and the Conflicts (or
another one) mechanism to expire a library ?

I really think that this problem is worth taking some time to solve it.

Aurélien
http://gauret.free.fr   ~~~~   Jabber : gauret at amessage.info
"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window." -- Steve Wozniak