Better repodata performance

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Jan 31 01:26:54 UTC 2005

On Jan 30, 2005, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:

> Since we've reduced this to name calling I think I'll step away from the
> conversation.

Please don't do that before going through the numbers and analysis I
posted and telling us what you think is wrong in them.  I certainly
don't intend this to turn into name calling.  You were the one who
wrote: ``Just so we don't go off into deeply uninformed space:´´ and
``Sheesh, go read the code, stop making suppositions based on
anecdotes.´´, and then:

> it downloads repomd.xml everytime - that's < 1K.
> it downloads primary.xml.gz if the file has changed - that's typically <
> 1M.

> it downloads filelists.xml.gz only when there is a file dep that it
> cannot resolve with primary.xml.gz.

Which is precisely the model I had in mind when I posted my e-mail.
So maybe I had read the code, or didn't have to.

But instead of showing whatever you found to be in error in the hard
data I posted, you chose to attack points in which either I wasn't
sure on how exactly up2date, yum-2.0 and yum-2.1 chose to address a
certain issue (and whose exact difference didn't matter at all for
purposes of the comparison), or in which I probably wasn't
sufficiently clear to expose what I had in mind, because you
understood something completely different or missed the analysis
relevant to understand that passage that was elsewhere.

So let's please go back to the numbers and stop name calling.  I
apologize if I gave the impression that I wanted to get into this sort
of discussion.  I don't, and the only way to justify my actions is
because I felt attacked when you implied I had no clue on what I was
talking about.  I'll be the first to admit I don't have complete
knowledge, and I'm always eager to learn, but I don't see anything
wrong with the analysis I posted, and your posting didn't show
absolutely anything wrong with it, which to me shows I wasn't that
clueless, after all.