Better repodata performance

Konstantin Ryabitsev mricon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 03:38:34 UTC 2005

On 30 Jan 2005 18:16:21 -0200, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com> wrote:
>  278.7MiB) just in metadata over a period of 9 months, total

That's about 1 megabyte per day. I'm hard pressed to say that it makes
much difference in overall end-user traffic, especially seeing as you
are probably an exception: it's much less than that for a "generic
user" who has base, updates-released, and maybe freshrpms or
fedora.us+livna configured.

Hell, I get about that much SPAM every day -- ~200 5k messages, that
works up to about 1MiB.

Now, I had to download and install 180MiB of OpenOffice updates
yesterday. THAT sucked. The amount of YUM truffic compared to that is
simply inconsequential.

Network bandwidth is getting cheaper by the day. I'm not sure it's
worth developing ulcers and hernias over each kilobyte. Essentially,
it's the same argument as whether it's better to write code in C or in
assembler -- at some point the benefit of having an abstracted
environment that's easy to maintain wins over the "but it's so much
larger in size!".

Regards,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev