some changes for (slightly) faster boot

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Mon Jan 3 23:36:53 UTC 2005

> Jeff Spaleta (jspaleta at gmail.com) said:
> > >   This allows hardware probing to be done only once; the specifics of
> > >   where/how kudzu is run in this setup may be tweaked slightly - the
> > >   initscript may be moved. kudzu also runs without interaction
> > >   now, and just does the configuration of whatever it finds.
> >
> > Does this mean kudzu will remove and unconfigure whatever it doesnt
> > find without interaction  as well?
>
> Yes. Hence, a large shaking out period.

This is never what I want.  I was damn annoyed the other day when someone
with less clue accidentally hit return and let it remove some configuration.
That is, it's never what I want when there is actual software configuration
involved, not just presence-and-flavor-of-the-hardware configuration.
It would be great if it corrected the modprobe aliases for the new NIC
without me thinking about it.  It really sucked some hindparts that it
removed ifcfg-eth0 without a trace and then asked me how I wanted to
configure the fresh one from scratch after it had added the different eth0
alias to modprobe.conf for me.  When the sequence of questions was "Shall I
remove your hand-tweaked configuration and leave no backup record of it?"
followed by "Would you like to tweak this new configuration by hand from
memory, or else have it not work at all if you do nothing special right now?",
this was suboptimal.  When those questions are answered "yes" by default
with no interacton, this is unacceptable.