Trying to build the adm8211 kernel module

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Tue Jan 4 16:27:44 UTC 2005

I am trying to build the driver for my admtec 8211 based wlan card
(SMC2635W), but i am having some difficulties due to the removal of the
kernel-source rpm. (an otherwise perfectly sensible choice.) I was just
about to make my own exploded source three, when i came over this notice
in the release notes:

"""
An exploded source tree is not required to build kernel modules against
the currently in-use kernel.

For example, to build the foo.ko module, create the following file
(named Makefile) in the directory containing the foo.c file:

obj-m    := foo.o

KDIR    := /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
PWD    := $(shell pwd)

default:
    $(MAKE) -C $(KDIR) SUBDIRS=$(PWD) modules

Issue the make command to build the foo.ko module.
"""

Now, those drivers already has a makefile - and it is a bit more
complicated. It does among other thing build a number of .c files into
this module...

Can anybody help? The driver shall after what i heard be a part of the
official kernel (first, the -mm series), but it isn't "ready" yet. When
that is said, the driver has served me well, and is still rapidly
improving.

The driver can be found here:

http://aluminum.sourmilk.net/adm8211/

If somebody can help me create a working makefile, i shall ofcource send
the changes back so that it can be a part of the main distro of the
driver (i would guess a separate fedora makefile would be the
easiest...)

Kyrre