some changes for (slightly) faster boot

Tue Jan 4 20:36:55 UTC 2005

Le mardi 04 janvier 2005 à 15:11 -0500, Colin Walters a écrit :
> On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 17:54 -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> > On Jan  4, 2005, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Realistically, the only sort of device that has a lot of site-local
> > > configuration is a network card; for most other things you don't care.
> >
> > Hmm, let's see...
> >
> > - Printer: probably want to keep customizations such as default page
> > size, paper tray, etc
> >
> > - Mouse: emulate the middle button or not.
> >
> > - Keyboard: what's the key layout
> >
> > - Display: what depth, resolution to use
>
> These all look like per-user preferences to me.  So they should be
> stored in GConf.

Not all of them :

- some printers accept extensions (memory, supplementary trays,
duplexing unit...) that are not detectable and must be specified
manually by the admin somewhere

- mouse : physical setup (wheel...) will almost always be shared among
users (even if modern devices make this less a problem than before)

- keyboard : again different users may use different layouts but some
characteristics like key number are shared

Sure you can have every user redefine every single parameter - but even
if users with different tastes do happen very frequently, the vast
majority of cases will be users sharing the same customisations (because
of the site/corporate policy, or there is only one computer-addict in
the family, etc). This is BTW one of GConf biggest weaknesses right now
- it's easy to change things on a per-user basis, but much less so on a
per-system (or per-group) one, unless you want to dig into GConf
internals and fight your distribution idea of what the defaults should
be.

> > - Hard disks: where to mount
>
> How do you configure this now?

Crazy udev manual rules;)