some changes for (slightly) faster boot

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Jan 6 14:01:01 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 03:23:53PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> So to me we're better off just saying "the desktop should dynamically
> adapt to various resolutions" for example (we really need to do that
> anyhow, for the default configuration).

SGI had per desktop profiles on IRIX as an option. In most respects I'd second
Havoc that if the desktop would just mind its own business the world will be
happy. That will need tools like metacity to grow up and start behaving
better. It would also need smarter awareness of resolution and dpi - eg if
I move from 1600x1200 analog to 1024x768 on the laptop tft the right move
for gnome-terminal is smaller fonts not 40x16 windows.

The advantages of the SGI setup moving from very big to small displays was
you got a sane desktop. The disadvantage was that you had to keep them in sync
by hand and it got to be a real PITA.