festival 1.95 anyone?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Jan 6 20:17:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:43:00AM -0800, Stephen Pollei wrote:
> > FreeTTS and Sphinx4 are both Java, so they're out.
> Yes but I thought FC4 might have Java built-in .
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-November/msg00352.html has Thomas Fitzsimmons <fitzsim redhat com> say that ecj, gij, and Java-Gnome binding are planned to be included.

It'll be interesting to see how well that works.

> Yes flite might be what you want. I haven't evaluated any of them
> myself. I do seem to recall that for making new voices that freetts
> needed some other software or something. It's been a few months since I

Sadly, from the docs:

   As of 1.2 initial scripts have been added to aid the conversion of
   FestVox voices to Flite. In general the conversion cannot be automatic.
   For example all specific Scheme code written for a voice needs to be hand
   converted to C to work in Flite, this can be a major task.

I ain't got time for a major task like that. Wish I did, though!