perl INSTALLDIRS=vendor

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Fri Jan 7 18:00:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 01:01 +1100, Alan Milligan wrote:

> I'm having a few problems source compiling a number of perl modules.  I
> don't really like this vendor concept, whats wrong with site_perl??

The modules come from a vendor -> they should go into vendor install
dirs.  Site install dirs are for local site installs so that admins can
override system installed stuff a la "perl -MCPAN -e install Foo-Bar"
and traditional tarball install.  (Moving site_perl in /usr/local/...
would make this clearer FHS-wise.)

> But the problem I face is that the %files is inconsistent.  For example,
> in perl-HTML-Parser, the line is as follows:
>
> %dir %{_libdir}/perl5/%(perl -MConfig -le 'print
> "$Config{version}/$Config{archname}"')/HTML
>
> but of course the files have been placed in vendor_perl/5.8.5.  The
> correct line in this case is:
>
> %dir %(perl -MConfig -le 'print "$Config{vendorarch}"')/HTML

Better to just use %{perl_vendorarch} for arch dependent module packages
and %{perl_vendorlib} for arch independent ones.  These are defined in
rpm 4.3-0.9 and later (~ FC2 and later) [0].  If support for older
systems is needed, these macros can be conditionally defined in
specfiles eg. like:

%{!?perl_vendorlib: %define perl_vendorlib %(eval "`%{__perl} -V:installvendorlib`"; echo $installvendorlib)}
%{!?perl_vendorarch: %define perl_vendorarch %(eval "`%{__perl} -V:installvendorarch`"; echo $installvendorarch)}

See also "grep %perl_ /usr/lib/rpm/macros".
And /usr/share/fedora/spectemplate-perl.spec if you have fedora-
rpmdevtools from fedora.us/pre-extras installed.

> There are a number of other modules similarly broken.  Comments please.

In my experience, a lot of bug reports containing the magic string
"perl" in bugzilla.redhat.com or here do not tend to draw much
attention.  Hopefully there will be something that the community can do
about it in future FC.

[0] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/114121