Reopen a request for gpgme in Core

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sat Jan 8 04:27:46 UTC 2005

On 10:59 07 Jan 2005, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
| On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 04:31 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
| > On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 23:26:01 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
| >
| > > Does Sylpheed do IMAP over SSH yet?
| >
| > Typo? Or do you really mean SSH?
| > Because IMAP over SSL is supported for a long time.
|
| No, I mean SSH. SSH uses keys from ssh-agent and doesn't want to store
| my password for itself. SSH does compression. SSH lets me in to machines
| which don't have a public-facing IMAP d??mon. [...]

You don't need your mail reader to be extended.

I do IMAP over SSH as described here:

    http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/css/ssh.html#rnc__remote_netcat

In short, I bring up a local interface (lo:1, lo:2, etc) for each remote
site whose services I desire via ssh and establish tcpio/ssh/netcat
tunnels to each service at boot.

Then connecting to the imap port on my "local.zip" interface tunnels via ssh
to zip and connects to their IMAP service.

in this way _no_ mail reader needs extending because each remote service is
apparently a local ordinary service.

I find it extremely convenient.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

We're supposed to be the guys with Freedom and Democracy right?
Well, how come the Russians get to shell their Parliament and we don't
get to do it to ours?
        Mike Holmes, fofp at festival.ed.ac.uk