festival 1.95 anyone?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sat Jan 8 03:44:11 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 02:28:36PM -0800, Jack Spaar wrote:
> > I don't know anything about the science behind this, but text-to-speech
> > is, y'know, cool. Festival 2.0 was supposed to be out a few months ago,
> > but it seems to be late. In the meantime, 1.9.5 is out there, and has a
> > few nice things -- particularly, the CMU_ARCTIC voices sound really good.
> > Is anyone working on updating this? If not, I'll look, although it's way
> > outside of areas where I know what I'm doing. :)
> An active shepherd of Festival packages for Fedora would be much
> appreciated by folks who use gnopernicus (the screenreader component of
> gnome's assistive technology support).

Well, my first attempt at a 1.95 package results in a bunch of this sorta
thing:

  festival> (help)
  SIOD ERROR: unbound variable : help

which is as far as I got before having to work on other things.

(There's also a problem with linking to (unnumbered) libestbase.so and
libeststring.so -- need to get that straightened out.)

You can get what I made so far at <http://www.mattdm.org/misc/festival/>, if
you're interested in further work. I'll probably poke at it more eventually
if no one more qualified shows interest. :)