HAL policies for port. music players

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 18:11:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:38:53 -0600, Michael Favia
<michael.favia at insitesinc.com> wrote:
> Which is understandable and possible after the first time you tell it
> what to do. I think that asking the user the first time which
> application to use and possibly mounting parameters is an acceptable
> inconvienence.

I think you are somewhat on the same page as  David Zeuthen with
regard to what direction should be taken to make hotpluggable devices
more integrated in the desktop.  Whether or not the new system prompts
for interaction by default or just notifies is a UI detail that could
be argued about later... number 4 on David's list. The real trick  is
bulding up the per-device configuration for each user and teaching the
desktop ui how to access those per device properties.  I think David
did a good job prioritizing the technical issues in his list.

-jef