[Possibly OT] Trademarks

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Jan 10 22:53:41 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 17:10 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:41:09 -0500, Christopher Aillon
> <caillon at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > We want to stay as close to upstream as possible
>
> Thats great... but you can do that using the iceweasel option.  But
> when there is a disagreement over a patch and there will be at some
> point.... using the non-ioeweasel options will prevent Fedora Core
> developers from being able to apply the patch without upstream
> approval. This a maintence burden... and it will happen at some point.

It already has happened, essentially. We (well, many of us, not
everyone) wanted to contribute a native widgets/HIG version of Firefox;
but upstream will not accept that patch under the Firefox name. So this
sort of argument has come up. Because they wouldn't take the patch we
decided to work on other stuff (including non-browser-related) and right
now everything we're doing with Firefox should land upstream. caillon
has it under control.

Changing the configure arguments in the packages and doing an
Obsoletes/Provides firefox wouldn't take very long, if we need to do it
someday. So there's no point stressing about hypotheticals. There's
value to calling it Firefox for now (if only to avoid user confusion)
and if we have to change it someday, it will cause some problems but
they'll be the same problems if we change it today.

Havoc