Fedora Core 4

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Jan 17 20:46:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 09:34:33AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > I think the best way for other packaging sites to make their stuff
> > available, trivially, for yum would be to make a package that provides
> > their .repo file.
> >
> > then users can:
> > wget url://to/that/rpm
> > yum install /that/rpm
>
> Time to repeat the six year old proposal originally internally and extenrally
> since.
>
> Define a mime type for a repository description file and its format. Add it
> with a helper app for mozilla/konqueror/firefox.
>
> At that point you can click on a "subscribe to DAG" button on a web page and
> let the helper do the work (via consolehelper to do the "root password" bit)

Coincidentally, Gustavo designed smart to allow this:

	smart channel --add http://some.url/mychannel.txt
	smart channel --add mychannel.txt

It would be nice to have a special content-type/extension for this that is
standardized between different package managers. The syntax for such
a channel definition is pretty straightforward:

	[dag]
	name = RPMforge.net: Various packages from Dag RPM Repository for Fedora Core 3 (i386)
	baseurl = http://apt.sw.be/fedora/3/en/i386/dag
	type = rpm-md
	priority = 10

Would be nice if this could be established.