Fedora Core 4

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 16:30:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:09:11 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger
<fedora-devel at camperquake.de> wrote:
> And just for the record: I read what it is trying to do before committing,
> and I know that downgrading or suspicious removal usually means that there
> is a bug somewhere.

I'm not concerned about people like you or I... people who could be
considered technically proficient and who have experience
troubleshooting problems that are the result of packaging errors. I am
very concerned about what happens if/when novice users begin to use
smart as their primary tool. I admit that for advanced users who
understand when something is 'suspicious' this approach can be very
powerful... but for the 90% of the userbase who don't have a good
grasp as to when something is suspicious and when it is not.. this can
lead to problems.  Especially if the advanced users using the same
tool.. aren't being encourage to file bugs. The best way to encourage
the filing of bugs is to stop execution and throw an error message.

There is a better way in my head, involving keeping up with 'channel
policies' instead of 'priorities'.. i just have to find the words and
the time to articulate it. A way that allows smart to do exactly what
it does now when it needs to deal with overlapping addon repos when
you want to install something new... but flags reportable problems
when a channel or group of channels aren't self-consistent when they
should be.

-jef