Fedora Core 4

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Jan 19 16:51:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 11:43:05AM -0200, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> > At this point smart doesn't have multilib support
>
> Yes, it does. Anything not working is a bug which I'll fix, once
> reported and consensus on correct behavior is obtained.

There are different schools on multilib behaviour. One is to have
minimal installs, e.g. do not install all arch versions just because
they exits, the other is to do so, as asking a package manager for
package foo is ambiguous (all of them or just the native package?).

Sometimes I'm setting up multilib-free systems (e.g. no overlapping
packages at all), and a yum install foo (w/o adding an arch) will pull
in both x86_64 and i386 packages.

So it is basically more a matter of personal taste than consensus. I
would suggest the following:

o make an explicit removal w/o any arch mean "remove for all archs". I
  think that is unambigous.
o make the explicit install of a package w/o mentioning any arch be
  dependent on configuration, so some users can have "all archs" and
  some "only the best arch"
o make the updating/fixing algorithm be generally minimal in package
  installations, or perhaps depend on the above configuration
  setting.

In general I think less is better ;)

Thanks!

--