RFC: Optimizing for 386

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Wed Jan 19 17:18:06 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 10:51 -0600, Michael Favia wrote:

> I think we could all spend a little more time being a little more
> tolerant of each other. Everyone has the same goals here. Let's be civil
> towards one another.

  Okay, but could Joseph Wagner answer this question: Have you gone and
read the archives regarding your 10%-40% claim?
  This has been discussed ad-nauseum on this list at a level of detail
that I can only hope to ever understand, but I will defer to the
glibc/gcc/kernel experts.
  For Mr. Wagner, I would also point out that to change compile options,
change directory names, change the architecture portion of the rpm names
(not all of which are required, but most certainly desirable to lessen
confusion) is a HUGE undertaking.  Not to mention the additional
testing.  To expect Fedora Core developers to embark on this journey
without hard facts (i.e.: benchmarks) is dreaming.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator