XDMCP Core 3

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 16:27:58 UTC 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:20:07 +0000, Jonathan Andrews
<jon at jonshouse.co.uk> wrote:
> 1) gdm doesn't have a process itself, it runs from init - but when gdm
> is started it seems to undergo a name change to "gdm-binary" without
> being owned by gdm or anything called gdm. As a result its not possible
> to cleanly restart gdm ? ie no "/etc/init.d/gdm restart". Am I missing
> something here or this a bit naff ?

/etc/X11/prefdm is a script set to respawn and has logic to use
selectable dm's using /etc/sysconfig/desktop (which could easily be
configured to use kdm or xdm). Here's a question for you... how does
init know when its appropriate to respawn prefdm?

/usr/bin/gdm is just a shell script that calls gdm-binary. The shell
script here is very simple and seems to only be checking to make sure
that /etc/profile is run if available.  Is this script wrapper
necessarily for correct gdm operation?

-jef