Fedora Core 4

Bryan Clark bclark at redhat.com
Fri Jan 21 00:35:15 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 10:48 +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 17:30 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>
> > So, what's planned for Fedora Core 4? Here's what we're looking
> > at from the Red Hat side of things:
>
> > - more networking changes
> >
> >   Further integration of NetworkManager
>
> Does this include getting hal to correctly recognize the capabilities of
> PCMCIA based wireless network cards so that Network Manager properly
> detects these devices.

This is actually about making applications aware of network changes and
properties.  For instance Dan Reed is working on making the DHCP options
available through NetworkManager.  This means that the web browser will
be able to query NetworkManager for proxy settings to use for accessing
the internet.  Also the web browser would be aware of the network going
up or down so you wouldn't get error dialogs when the network is down.
Instead we can show you the state of your network and give you the
choice to connect to a different wireless network (for instance).

PCMCIA cards should be detected properly in NetworkManager as long as
HAL detects them properly.  You can search [0] the NetworkManager list
for previous discussion on this [1].  Otherwise if you know it's a
problem with HAL you could try the HAL Bugzilla [2].

Cheers,
~ Bryan

[0] http://www.google.com/search?q=networkmanager%20PCMCIA%20HAL%20site:mail.gnome.org
[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2005-January/msg00022.html