environment (/etc/profile) and X

Jonathan Underwood j.underwood at open.ac.uk
Fri Jan 21 13:50:16 UTC 2005

Dear All,

Firstly apologies if there is already perceived wisdom on this matter,
and I've missed it despite googling fairly extensively.

I recently noticed that in FC3 in a gnome-terminal or xterm that the
delete key didn't work and just produced a tilde. Having checked that
the correct escape string was being returned, I realised that it was
because /etc/inputrc was not being read and so readline wasn't set up
correctly in bash, and that the reason for this is because INPUTRC is
set in /etc/profile which is never read one one launches a terminal from
within X as these start a non login shell ... it's really a
manifestation of the fact that logging in via xdm/gdm/kdm starts a
session which never invokes a login shell, and so /etc/profile is never
read - opening a terminal in Gnome etc starts an interactive non-login
shell and so /etc/bashrc and $HOME/.bashrc are read but not /etc/profile
or $HOME/.bash_profile. At least that's my understanding.

Googling around a bit, this situation has quite a history, and there was
even a time when /etc/profile was even sourced twice at login. This has
been discussed at length lately by debian people here:

http://tinyurl.com/6mlw8

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&threadm=27SaO-2Hu-43%40gated-at.bofh.it&rnum=7&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dshell%2Binitialization%2BX%2B/etc/profile%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26selm%3D27SaO-2Hu-43%2540gated-at.bofh.it%26rnum%3D7

I myself am unsure about what the right way to deal with this is, but my
feeling is that at somepoint during login, the appropriate shell login
file should be read i.e. /etc/profile for bash.

Thoughts?

Jonathan.