RFC: Optimizing for 386

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Fri Jan 21 16:28:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 09:37 -0600, Michael Favia wrote:

[snip]

> Why do you need 2 machines and not just 1 dual booted machine? You can
> rule out chipset and harware diaparity that way? Maybe i am missing
> something.

  Yeah, I guess it's a tradeoff.  Launching a copy of Mozilla or
OpenOffice on both boxes at the same instant in time would make it easy
to see which one launches first.  It's also a lot easier to ensure you
are doing the same things on each box if you have them side by side.
But, yes, you risk some unknown hardware differences doing it this way.
  The alternative is to be sure you document every click and keystroke
and resulting response times as well as things like disk activity.
  Either way can work.  Consider my rough test plan modifiable to your
heart's content, provided you explain what method(s) you've used for
testing for peer review. ;-)

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator